Monday, March 15, 2010

Shopping and shovels

Hello Everyone,

Today was a fairly typical Monday. Well the morning anyway. I did my laundry, then helped Mama Val do the shopping. We are really getting to know some of the vendors at the market, and its great that they always take care of us and even give us "bonus" fruits and vegetables. It also nice to be able to have small talk with so many Acholi people, and have them laugh when I can speak............even though its limited.........there language.

When we got back, Uncle Mike and Uncle Francis were outside the compound digging a pit for our garbage. After lunch Uncle Mike told Francis that it was pretty much done, but I wanted to go swing and sweat for a while. I have a strange fetish with work that requires a strong back and a weak mind. Lots of sweat insued, as we dug down to where Mike originally wanted, but then said the majic words. "Well its ok, but deeper would be good........but if you tired, we can do it tomorrow." Being a guy...........and one that prides himself in his ability to work, I of course stayed out there, and even though I wasn't smart enough to wear gloves, I kept working even though my hands blistered, then even bled. Wow..........me and my stubborn pride sometimes.

I was really glad to finish it, and in the process half of Gulu walked by to admire a muzungu actually working. That may be more of why I stuck it out, because I really don't like the fact that "white people" don't work (manual labor) here. Not only is it not above me, but I actually enjoy it. Of course the fact that most Ugandan's think I am really strong, also kept me working. Well that and the fact that a bunch of kids showed up, and I wanted to finish so I could play with them. Play we did. Uncle Francis and I spent half an hour picking kids out of, and "throwing" them into the hole. The neighborhood kids really enjoyed it, and kept playing long after we went back into the compound.

Another great day.

Love and miss you all,

Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment