Monday, March 8, 2010

I'm fat, but I'm fit =)

Hello Everyone,

Today was a great day. Today was a public holiday in Uganda where they celebrate women. We spent women's day by doing laundry, and then playing lots, and lots of soccer. We went to the field after lunch and started to play with just our six children. Soon two more boys who were near by wanted to play. We went shirts and skins...........the boys being skins (including me), and within fifteen minutes we had over sixty children flooding the field.

The children all were extremely entertained by my jiggling around the field. I spent half the time playing soccer, and the other half playing with the children. Picking them up and throwing them in the air, or spinning them around, or just tickling them silly. They all especially enjoyed it when I picked one of them up, threw him over my shoulder and ran around the field until I scored. It so easy to make these children laugh, and it warms my heart everytime I hear it. As much as I play with the kids for the kids...........I do it just as much for me too.

Auntie Jennifer, and Uncle Francis were talking the other day, and thought it was important to let me know that I am fat. However I am also fit, and that isn't what they are used to seeing with a guy my size. I guess I am definitley not a normal muzungu. I hope that a good thing.

Love and miss you all,

Joe

4 comments:

  1. That is way too funny!! We are definitely having a huge soccer game when you get back!! Love reading your posts!! Those kids will surely miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Joe they don't understand that you were recruited as a 'skinny Santa' so their comment definitely lacks some cultural understanding. Nice to have the shoe on the other foot for a change...hahaha. I agree with the K-girl, those kids are going to miss you like crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its ok to be "fat" just not ok to be a glutton . . . it ain't nobody's fault if some of us have a slow metabolism eh? We enjoyed a French-Canadian Sugar Bush Brunch yesterday in fine all-you-can-eat buffet style. Speaking of gluttony . . . but we tried to wear it off with a waddle in the woods afterwards. Sorry to say, it didn't help! The scale is up today. Do they even bother with scales there??

    ReplyDelete
  4. No Mark mostly everyone is skinny but if a woman is 'fat' it means her husband is wealthy cos he can afford to feed her:)

    ReplyDelete