Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Good coffee and great reading.

Hello Everyone,

I had today off and spent most of it drinking coffee ( I know....surprise surpise), and reading some books from a friend. I kept finding myself reading, then looking at my life to see how I was, or wasn't really being the church to the world.

In the first book, Crazy Love, there were serveral quotes that impacted me, but none as much as the following one from Tim Kizziar. "Our greatest fear as individuals and as a church should not be of failure but of succeeding at things that don't really matter." What an incredible statement. It really makes you think if what you are investing in is really worth the time and engery you are pouring into it.

In the second book, Irrestible Revolution, Mother Theresa is quoted saying, "We can do no great things, just small things with great love. It is not how much you do, but how much love you put into doing it." How many times have you found yourself, or at least I have found myself, doing something because it should be done, but not doing with the right heart. Not putting my whole heart into it, and definitley not pouring my love into the task, or the people involved in it.

I don't know about you, but these quotes, and the rest of the reading, has really pressed me to really look inward into what I am doing, and more importantly why I am doing it. Christ calls us to take care of the widows and the orphans in the distress, but he also calls us to do out of love. He calls us to love Him with everything we have, and out of that love we have no other option but to spill His love onto the world around us.

Love and miss you all,

Joe

2 comments:

  1. Wow...great post Joe! I love them all, but this one rings especially true. I will have to start calling you Dr. Love.
    Buddy #2,
    -Don-

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to borrow those books when you return or maybe when I see you in uganda.....great post and good thoughts. I'm thinking PD is right we should call you Dr. Love;)

    see you soon
    Dorie

    ReplyDelete