Thursday, March 18, 2010

Ordinary Miracle

Hello Everyone,

Today we had a long staff meeting and because we needed all the staff present we had the youngest ones watch Charlotte's web to keep them occupied. Just as our meeting was ending, the credits for the movie came on. The music in the background to it was "Ordinary Miracle" by Sarah Mclachlan. I know that this will make me seem like a big sap, but to be honest..........I am a big sap. Whenever I hear her voice, I can't help but to think of my brother Jake. Its a long story that I won't get into, but I really can't help but think of him when she sings. Hearing the song of course peaked my interest, and made me rewind the credits and watch it again with the kids. I don't know if I had ever heard the song before, and if I had, I definitley didn't pay attention to the lyrics. The kids snuggled up with me, and as I actually paid attention to what was being sung, I was very moved. Here are the lyrics, and a youtube link if you want to listen to it. (again.........I know I'm a sap, so just get over it.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Urv7tyeJ7qE

It’s not that unusual
When everything is beautiful
It’s just another ordinary miracle today

The sky knows when it’s time to snow
Don’t need to teach a seed to grow
It’s just another ordinary miracle today

Life is like a gift they say
Wrapped up for you everyday
Open up and find a way
To give some of your own

Isn’t it remarkable
Like every time a raindrop falls
It’s just another ordinary miracle today

Birds in winter have their fling
Will always make it home by spring
It’s just another ordinary miracle today

When you wake up everyday
Please don’t throw your dreams away
Hold them close to your heart
‘Cause we’re all a part of the ordinary miracle

Ordinary miracle
Do you want to see a miracle?

It seems so exceptional
The things just work out after all
It’s just another ordinary miracle today

Sun comes up and shines so bright
And disappears again at night
It’s just another ordinary miracle today
It’s just another ordinary miracle today
It may not be that impacting to you, but just thinking about how much in the world around us really is a miracle, definitely impacted me. I know that I have said before that its the little things in life that make it wonderful, and that the best things in life are free. I still completely agree. The lyrics of the song talk about beautiful miracles of nature, and how amazing it is that seeds grow, birds know how to migrate, and how the "sky knows when its time to snow". One of the best lyrics is "When you wake up everyday. Please don't throw your dreams away. Hold them close to your heart, 'cause we're all a part of the ordinary miracle." I think that so many times we wake up, and not only do we not realize the wonderous miracle of a beautiful sunrise, the birds chirping, or fresh falling snow (ok, maybe I'm in the minority for loving the snow, but just bare with me); but we also get lost in the business of life and forget about our dreams. In essence we them away.
It has been a dream of mine to come to the african continent and serve since I was just a teenager. I went on some mission trips after high school, and got busy with college, and trying to find a career. Somewhere in the middle of that, losing my brother, and just life in general, I got really comfortable with where I was. I wasn't living, or even pursing any real dream other then building a house, and finding a job that I enjoyed. Not really pursing the dreams of my heart.
I still don't know what I am going to do when I get home, or what the future holds, but I do know that I want to keep pursing my dreams. I also want to never lose site of the ordinary miracles that unfold right before my eyes, each and every day. I want to live a life full of adventure, and uncertainty, but still be able to stop and smell the roses along the way.
Here's to appreciating the ordinary miracles we see, and are a part of everyday.
Love and miss you all,
Joe

3 comments:

  1. That's a great song - good reminder, Joe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the reminder to appreciate the ordinary magic of daily life. Its not just about the goals and destination . . . enjoy the journey.

    ReplyDelete