Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Muzungu.....Muzungu!!!

Hello Everyone,

Muzungu is acholi for "white person", and to be honest it will be weird to walk or drive down the road and not hear children yelling "muzungu, muzungu!!" On my way to pick up the three older children, I heard that phrase dozens of times during the half hour walk. After I got to the school, I sat on the edge of the main office like I always do, and spent the next twenty minutes or so playing with all the intrigued children in the area. I have been to the school several times now, and whether its Auntie Cassie and I, or just me....the local children always seem to swarm around us.

I have learned a few Acholi phrases and greetings, so I usually get the children laughing by speaking there language. Some of them speak a little english, and it always puts a smile on my face when one of them comes up, or just hollers from across the street......"How are you?" Today I had one of the cutest little girls I've seen(probably four or so), with white and pink beads in her hair say hello. She asked me how I was, and I replied fine when I asked her the same. The other kids were skeptical at first until I gave them five, or shook there hands. She however sat down right next to me, snuggled up under my arm, and rested her head on my stomach. To be honest...........that alone was worth the trip. The children at home are very loving, and starving for our affection, but this little girl melted my heart.

Love and miss you all,

Joe

2 comments:

  1. Priceless day:) Miss you Joe! Love and Prayers! Heather and Crew

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting that it's ok to yell that to someone. Imagine us doing that here!!! LOL..

    Dont worry, I"ll still call you Muzungu!

    AJ

    ReplyDelete