Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Just another day in paradise.

Hello Everyone,

Today was the first day since last week that we didn't have overcast skies and cool temperatures. Today was HOT!!!! Very hot. Picked up some more lumber to keep working on our construction projects, and the nails we got in the market leave a lot to be desired. Oh well......I'll make them work somehow.

My foot is healing well, and hopefully I should be out running again in just a few days. Man I really need to get back out there. The kids keep telling me...."Uncle Joe.........your stomach is big", and I would like to do something about that while I'm here. The mornings are so peaceful, and the roads are so quiet right after sunrise. Its a great time to think, and enjoy the scenery while making the Acholi children laugh when I say hello in their language.

The language is difficult, but I am picking up a few greetings anyway..........hopefully I will be able to teach you all a little when I get home. I am also trying to really embrace and enjoy every minute I have left here. A few friends reminded me over the weekend and again this morning that I only have a few months left, and that I need to make the most of it. How true. Its only been a month, and I am already saddened at the thought of having to say goodbye to the kids. They are all so beautiful, and wonderful. Unique, and at times quite a handful, but truly a joy none the less.

I may only have two months left here, and I want to make the most of it, but I also want to start making the most of life everyday, whether I'm here in Uganda, or at home in New York, or wherever the story leads me. I want to live a story worth telling my grandkids about. I want to sit down around a campfire, or sit on a dock with them and tell them all the wonderful adventures I've had the pleasure to live. More importantly I want to sit across from Jesus when I'm finally going over my life's story. I want to tell him all about the adventures He gave me the courage to live.........and hopefully I will see him smile.

Love and miss you all,

Joe

3 comments:

  1. I have the best start for the next chapter when you get back....a 200 mile relay race!!!!!! I am totally serious! You in or what?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This makes me think you won't be saying goodbye to Uganda forever???! God is really knitting your heart to those there - May God give you the peace to know that the impact you are having in their life is forever! - Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE reading what you write, your doing a great job writting. You have made me crie more then I can count,Julie is RIGHT( AS ALWAYS:))
    God is knitting your there and you will always be remember and thought of by those children, for their entire life.
    I know you are already doing this but make every moment count.
    love ya ~sis

    ReplyDelete