Sunday, February 14, 2010

Happy Valentine's Day!!!!

Hello Everyone,

I am hoping that this all finds you well, and enjoying today. It has been probably the best Valentine's Day I've ever had. I didn't get any heart shaped candies, chocolates, or even home made cards from the kids. Instead it was a normal morning of Church at Watoto, the walk home, and playing with the kids. After lunch and laundry(please pray that the water situation is resolved soon), Uncle Francis and I took the kids outside the compound to a nearby school to play soccer with the kids in the neighborhood. We didn't invite anyone, just walked there with a brand new soccer ball(thanks Molly), and lots of kids showed up.

There were so many of us, that we had to go shirts and skins to tell who was who. Of course my team was skins, but I didn't really need to remove mine for everyone to know who I was. However after fifteen minutes or so, it was so hot I joined them.....barefoot, and bareback. After lots of laughter from the kids(most have never seen a muzungu go bareback), we conitnued for a good hour of soccer. All the kids played really well together and it was so much fun. They all thought that it was funny when I removed my hat to head the ball, or dribbled up the field and around people. Partly because of my skin color, and partly because of the size of my stomach. I am really glad that I could bring so much joy to there hearts. As much as I did, it brought so much more to mine. Even a few trucks full of men driving by thought it was funny and honked. They all laughed when I waved back.

Today was one of the best days I've had here....if not the best. I could do this everyday......well while here.........hockey at home when its cold =).

Love and miss you all,

Joe

1 comment:

  1. Hey! I am glad you had such a great day! You are going to be a soccer pro when you get back...I am thinking we should have a soccer game as well as a street hockey game!!! I love reading your posts old man! You are growing so much!

    Miss ya!
    Kristan

    ReplyDelete