Saturday, February 13, 2010

Opiyo and the borehole

Hello Everyone,

Well we have not had water for a few days, and the extra tank we have was getting extremely low, so Francis and I made a few trips to the borehole to get water. Because water is, and has been out all across Gulu, it was flooded with people. Because the line was long(even though we were allowed to go ahead of a lot of people), and it took a while to fill the cans, I was able to play with all the children running around. Most of them were extremely interested in this strange muzungu gathering water. It is not very often that someone as pale as myself makes there way down to the hole to collect water.

I had a lot of fun playing, and gathering, and bringing joy to everyone in between our house and the borehole. So many people laughed and yelled at me, and we so happy to see someone helping a local gather. One elderly man stopped me on the way, and asked if I was gathering water. When I said yes, he became ecstatic, and thanked me repeatedly for lending a helping hand. On our second return trip to the house, and elder woman did the same thing. The acholi people are so thrilled when they see someone helping, or trying to learn there culture. I can't wait to see the faces as we walk to church in the morning. I had an african shirt made, and although its a little big, I am going to wear it. I mean come on it is Valentine's day tomorrow =).

On our last trip to the borehole, we were helped by a very kind young woman, and I was able to spend more time playing with the children, then pushing through the line to fill the cans. As I was playing I noticed some VERY identical twins. There are a lot of twins here, but even when they are identical...........they really aren't identical if you know what I mean. These two however were, and when we were loading up the bike they both came over to see how we strapped down the load. Here in Uganda, children are given two names. Not a first name and a surname, but usually an acholi(or whatever tribe), and an english name. Twins however are almost given the same acholi name, whether they are identical or fraternal. The first born is given the name Opiyo, meaning first, and the second, Achen for second. In almost every neighborhood you can hear a mother calling for an Opiyo. These two were very friendly, and after a few greetings, and high fives, I asked them which one was Opiyo. They were both very surprised at first, but eventually they fessed up. I brought a roar of laughter from them and the surrounding children when I told him that I was Opiyo too.

What a great day. Lots of sweating, laughter, and the best game of soccer we have had in some time. Mama V was worried about my foot, (and don't worry mom) but I had it wrapped and taped. I am having so much fun, and looking forward to getting out to the IDP camps next week.

Love and miss you all,

Joe

2 comments:

  1. Appears you have a new combination Mayberry RFD/NYC name, Opi-Yo(Opee-Yo)...haha. Sounds like a lot of fun and a time to better understand and appreciate their culture. Ran 5miles last night in 44min 25sec, so the GMR is looking like it could be a real possibility, especially when a running buddy returns. I will be gone for the first two weeks you are here, so you will have to teach me the ropes for how to run safely in Gulu. How much longer before you will be able to run?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Joe,

    Love reading your posts.....it really IS in doing the daily activities like gathering water that we earn the trust and respect of the local people:)

    We are praying for a solution for the water situation!!?? So glad you are having fun in the midst of the trials. Victoria is over the moon to have you both there.....thanks so much:)

    Christine

    ReplyDelete