Sunday, January 31, 2010

The power has come.

Hello Everyone,

We lost power yesterday, or as the children say....."The power has gone". We got the power back this afternoon, or as the children say....."The power has come". Water still isn't back to the showers yet, but its running outside which is good. That way we can fill the outside tank, and can still get clean. My feet will need to soak for a few hours at least when I get home to get all this dirt out of them. Then again, maybe it will just be a permanent reminder of my time here.

After Church, Auntie Cassie, Uncle Francis and I went for a long walk with the children. Auntie Cassie brought some disposable cameras, and lets the children take turns taking pictures of whatever they like while on these walks. It will be really interesting to see how they turn out, and its really amazing to see what interests them. The first few walks, all they wanted to take pictures of was goats, or cows, or the occasional dog. Now they take pictures of trees, people at the watering holes, or sometimes just random objects. They don't want to waste there turn, so they are very cautious of what they capture with the cameras. To be honest I don't know of many children who would go for a two and a half hour walk in this kind of heat. They did complain a bit...........but they're kids. Kids complain. They are all in bed an hopefully fast asleep as they have to be up early for school in the morning. I know I am pretty beat too.

The service today was about the parable of the mustard seed. A good parable, but to be honest I spent most of the time mulling over the idea of what we can do. I know that in an ealier post I mentioned that we can all do something for children. Not sure what we could do, but we should do something. Well today I couldn't help but to look around the service and think about all the new people there. People who had never been, or have only been coming for a little while. Nervous, shy, and unsure of what to think of the service and more importantly the people. Watoto does a pretty good job of making people feel welcome, and I began to think about what we do to do the same. We have greeters, and the connection center.......but what we sometimes lack is courage. Courage to step out of our comfort zones and actually walk across the church, to say hi to a face you haven't seen before. Sometimes the difference between someone coming back or not, is simply a heart felt hello and a hand shake or a hug.

I don't really know why this has been on my mind all day but it has. I know that its easy for me to say because I am halfway across the world and not having to muster the courage to say hello to a stranger. Don't get me wrong I love our church, and think that we have an amazing leadership team, incredible worship, and annointed teaching. I just think that we all have room to grow, and perhaps we should all make an effort to make sure that no one that steps through the doors of the church, leave without having someone at least someone saying hello.

Love and miss you all,

Joe

3 comments:

  1. Yet again another great message!! I think we need to reach out to each other but also take it a step further and actually build a relationship with each other. You are right that a heart felt hug/hand shake may make the difference for someone to come back but genuine connections/relationships need to grow. We are all God's children and regardless of what church we attend we need to reach out to one another and share the love that Christ shares with us!! Praying for you always..Renee and Dan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Joe,

    Loving your posts!!! - God is Good. Funny that it was on your heart today RE: reaching out within the church. Today was Children and youth, and family day. We all had a wonderful time. Heather R had a great exortation on members of the body being one. (1Cor 12). She had a neat idea to give everyone a small clump of playdoe of different colors. then we were told walk around and share our different colors with other members of the body. So I approached this one large family to share with. I don't ever remember seeing them before, but when I started to talk to them - they told me they had been coming to NTC for about a year. I felt kind of bad, I'll have talk to them again next week and get to know them better.
    Glad to here things are going well there. GOD BLESS!
    THE SMITHS

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yo Joe...running buddy...'sup? Missing you here yet knowing you're EXACTLY where you are supposed to be. As David mentioned above, our service yesterday was dedicated to being more intentional about being INTERGENERATIONAL in everything we do, and it was followed by bagel/community Sunday. It was WONDERFUL! LuvYa, -Don-

    ReplyDelete