Saturday, January 23, 2010

School Shopping

Hello Everyone,

I just want to start out by saying thank you to Heather Ramsdell, and all the other helpers and volunteers for VBS last summer. Today we went through the boxes that you had sent, and were able to save a significant amount of money because of all the supplies you had sent. Notebooks, pencils, crayons, pencil sharpeners, erasers, and such were all very helpful.

School in Uganda is not very cheap, and in fact its quite expensive, and takes a lot of work to prepare children for school. Today we finished the shopping for school supplies, and also bought the children all new shoes, and the boys all have a clean hair cut. Of course I can't say the same for me. I am enjoying not having to cut my hair or shave while I don't have to. I think that the kids enjoyed the boda (motorcycle taxi) ride to Gulu more than the shopping though. I know I would have if I was there age.

It rained a little today, and has actually kept the temperature down a bit. I am really beat after a full day of cleaning the compound, picking rice and beans(picking the debris out of it), playing soccer, and taking the kids shopping. I have a new found respect for my mom, and for all moms really. You are all amazing, especially if you have multiple children to take of. These kids (like all kids) have tons of energy, and are a blast to be with. Its just a little tiring as all.

Looking forward to Watoto church again tomorrow, and my first service with the children here. Time is flying by, and I can't believe I've been gone for two weeks already. I have learned so much already, so what else God has in store over the next two and a half months, should be really interesting.

Love and miss you all,

Joe

2 comments:

  1. So like a LION you are growing out your mane? Maybe when you give the kids 'piggy back rides' they can hold onto it....just kidding! Hey do you have a digital camera? If so could you take some fresh shots of the kids, the house/compound and the Watoto church? Just send them to my email and perhaps I can show them in church. Luvya Joe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No greater joy then to be part of God's plan and to have a great team to make it all happen. So exciting to be part of something so great on a small scale but making a difference. Will share this blog with the kids next week. Thanks We love you and are praying for everyone!!

    ReplyDelete