Thursday, January 28, 2010

Wedding Bells?

Hello everyone,

I have some incredible news. No, I am not getting married ;)..........but I was invited to a traditional African wedding next weekend. In fact Auntie Cassie may be in the wedding, and I will help with the photography as much as I can. We will have to travel by bus for about four hours next friday, and return on sunday. Not completely sure what to expect, but really looking forward it.

I have been in, and been to a fairly large number of weddings, but I'm sure this one will be bar far the most interesting. Here in Uganda, when a christian couple wants to get married, they have two weddings. The traditional one, where they have to pay a bridal fee involving money, cattle, chickens and such. Later they will get married in a church in a more western style. Most often these don't occur on the same day because of the cost. In Mike and Faith's case, they will have the traditional one next weekend, and there "real" wedding in April, just after I leave.

That was by far one of the highlights of the day. The rest of the day consisted of soccer, being climbed on, and chasing the kids around the compound. I am a little bummed that the kids go back to school next week. Maybe the earlier wake up will get me out the door to either walk the kids to school, or go for a decent run more often.

I hope that you are all enjoying the wonderful winter weather. To be honest I am missing the cold and snow. Wishing I could be here, and still play hockey, and skate on the Rideau Canal. Oh well..........there is always next year.

Love and miss you all,

Joe

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like an exciting weekend for the marriage maestro. Take it all in and be sure to share some pictures with us. You wouldn't like the cold right now...it is not only mercury cold, it is wind chill cold...like 30 below...brrrhhhhh. Send us some heat...Love Ya Joe

    ReplyDelete