Wednesday, January 20, 2010

They're Here!!!

Well, the kids arrived today around four. Shortly after they arrived we were all outside playing soccer, and enjoying the company of six beautiful new faces. Kids are kids, whether its in New York, Dominican Repubic, Romania, Iraq, or even here in Uganda. They just want to be hugged, held, and played with. They just want to know that someone cares. Of course I don't know how you could possibly look at these smiles and not fall in love with them. There are three boys; Bill, Paul, and Ema(Emanuel), and three girls;Margret, Faith, and Gloria. I can see already that they all have very unique personalities that I will really enjoy getting to know.

Similar to what many families at home do, to learn respect for their elders, the children call the mamas either mom or auntie. The call Mama V, Mama V, Cassie they call Auntie Cassie, and Mike and I they call Uncle Mike and Uncle Joe. It melted my heart when I heard them say "Uncle Joe" all together for the first time. It made me feel more like I was home than I expected and reminded me of the number of kids at home that call me the same. Even though I do want children of my own someday.......being Uncle Joe to two nephews, three nieces, two goddaughters, and now dozens of kids all across the globe will be enough. I would covet your prayers that we show these beautiful children the love of God through how we play, teach, and even correct them. I am saddened that I will only have three months to do so, but I also feel so blessed that I do have three months. These kids, and thousands and thousands more like them deserve something better. Not neccessarily a better home, better clothes or a better education even though those are all great things. All children everywhere deserve to feel the warmth of a loving hug, the security of a loving family, and the chance to just be kid.

I don't know what we can all do, but I do know that we can all do something. Whether is helping in a children's home in Uganda, or supporting Mocha club, (ask Marion Bradish or google it), or simply taking in one of your kids friends into your home to give them the love they deserve. Maybe its just taking your own children, and telling them how much you love them. Like I said, I don't know what we can all do, but I do know that we can all do something. So lets.

6 comments:

  1. So excited for you. This blog is great! Thanks for sending me the link.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man... you are making me cry in the library. Miss you so much man. Glad to read all that you have been writing. Feel the support. Don't forget about those kids in Portland that call you Uncle Joe too! Grace and Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uncle Joe...nice ring. Thanks for the update. Great night tonight with Brian Cooney and 'caveman' in the drum cage. Learned of two healings during the worship time that were very encouraging...more Lord. Keep loving those kids and any others you might meet. Luvya.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joe with all the love you have in your heart the kids will be transformed in 3 months!!!

    So proud of you!!!!

    Hope you get to meet more children in the villages and Camps soon:)

    Love Christine

    ReplyDelete
  5. We all have love to give! As much as this letter makes me want to jump on a plane I know that we all have a responsibility to reach out to those that God has put in our path ... there is a lack of love in this world and we can only truly give it through God. Good luck my friend.

    I think you may come back a preacher!

    ReplyDelete