Thursday, January 21, 2010

Random Thoughts

Good Morning,
I usually don’t try to update the blog or really do much with the computer in the morning, but I had a few free minutes, and after I went to bed last night, I couldn’t stop thinking about the wonderful woman from Maine. It really got me thinking. Mostly of how wonderful, funny, caring, and generous she was, but also about life in general. She was one of those people who I would only see every several years, and every time, it was like I had never gone. Not that we were especially close, but it made me really think about how much of an impact we all have on this world. Whether we decide to just coast through it, and let life happen to us, or whether we dare to live the lives we have always dreamed. Either way we end up impacting people at some level. Not always for the better, but we still impact people.

I say all this to say, live the life you’ve dreamed about. Dare to step out in faith, and not wait until the path less traveled has become a well lit road. In the words of Erwin McManus, “Love God, and do what you want.” I’m not saying whatever feels good do it, but rather that don’t be afraid to risk in life. I believe with everything in me, that God puts desires in our heart………….we just need to courage to follow it sometimes. Dream big, and don’t be ashamed of doing so.

You can probably tell from the name of this blog, that I have read, and am reading again Donald Miller’s A million miles in a thousand years. The premise of the book is that Don is asked to write a screenplay based on one of his books, and in the process, learns the concept of story itself. He decides that story doesn’t just matter in writing, it matters in life. What kind of story are you writing? Most of our lives wouldn’t make a good book, or a good film, and that’s not necessarily bad. However I want to write a better story. Not so that I get a book written about me, or that someone makes a movie based around my character; but rather that I want to live a story that is meaningful. I want my life to count for something bigger than myself.

As most of you know, part of my story was written over nine years ago, when my twin brother was killed in a hunting accident. The recent loss got me thinking about the incident again, and a lot about how the last time I looked into Jake’s eyes, that I knew something wasn’t right, and just wanted to tell him I loved him; but you don’t say those things when you’re walking into the woods to hunt. I know that he knew I did, and I could see in his eyes that he wanted to say the same thing. The reason I am saying this, is that don’t be afraid to tell the people you love how you feel. Don’t be afraid to step out into the story you want to live. Don’t wait. Start treating your children the way they should be. Start treating your wife the way you would want someone to treat your daughter; or treat your husband the way you would want someone to treat your son. Live better stories, not regrets.

I hope this makes some sense, and isn’t just a bunch of rambling….as that is how it feels. Just really felt I needed to write something.

Love and miss you all,

Joe

6 comments:

  1. This blog ties in so well with last night at NTC (for me at least), it is almost like you were there. Don said, "Your destiny is the journey, not the destination." (or something like that) This hit home for me.

    I am constantly focusing on some foggy goal that I think I should be reaching for God (and feeling like a flunky in the process, half the time). Meanwhile, my life's story is humming along and I'm not paying attention -- focusing only on how I think a future scene of my story should play out.

    When you write, "...I want to live a story that is meaningful. I want my life to count for something bigger than myself", I can so relate. In fact, when Brian asked last night that we lay down our greatest fear, this was mine: that my story wouldn't amount to what God had intended -- that I would fall short. Maybe if I would stop trying to write my own story as I see fit, it would help. ;)

    I want to remember what Don said, though -- that it's really about the journey. We don't just watch the end of a good movie and skip the middle, we watch and enjoy and learn from ALL of the good and not-so-good of the WHOLE story. The more risk the character takes, the more exciting the story and the more impacting the ending is destined to be! :)

    Awesome, thought provoking post, Joe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We must concur fear!

    "There is a thief, and he comes to steal our becoming, kill our dreams, and destroy our very lives ... he wants to make us harmless and obscure. Through the years it seems one becomes afraid of all the things they thought they really wanted. Afraid of adventure. Afraid of love. Afraid of change."

    We must overcome and live a dynamic life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like you've found an inciting incident to propel you into a great story, Joe. I wanna read more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joe, thanks for the thought provoking post. As Marion referenced above, the other night I felt to repeatedly say, "Your Journey Is Your Destiny." All too often we focus on something way out there, and miss the profound moments right in front of us. Not only do we end up not enjoying the moment, we actually miss what God has for 'way out there.' Following your advice Joe. LOVE YA BUDDY!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Uncle Joe-

    Heather says......
    Was reading to hear all about you and the kids and find myself compelled to love greater and write a story that is worth leaving for my grandkids to read. Thanks for being the hands and feet to the children across the world but also for the Uncle Joe to our children. We love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tony says......I often think of that day as well, and other days in my life that have carried that much weight. Those moments put something in you that makes want to live each moment to its fullest, and at the end of this life be able to say "No regrets, I siezed the moment" Uncle Joe, You my friend will be able to say just that. Luv ya bud!

    ReplyDelete